Welcome to my website. I am a writer and editor specializing in jazz-related topics and media. From 1992 to 2001, I was the editor of Jazz Notes, the quarterly journal of the Jazz Journalists Association. I have also served as the editor of JazzTimes and as the jazz critic of The Washington Post.
I have published the following books, which you can learn more about or purchase here:
- The Jazz Scene: An Informal History from New Orleans to 1990 (Oxford University Press, 1991)
- Swing Era New York: The Jazz Photographs of Charles Peterson (Temple University Press, 1994)
- Living the Jazz Life: Conversations with Forty Musicians about Their Careers in Jazz (Oxford University Press, 2000)
- Growing Up With Jazz: Twenty-Four Musicians Talk About Their Lives and Careers (Oxford University Press, 2005).
I am currently at work on a memoir and a fourth collection of profiles of jazz and blues musicians.
(Photo: W. Royal Stokes at his Politics & Prose April 2005 Washington, D.C. book signing for Growing Up With Jazz: Twenty-Four Musicians Talk About Their Lives and Careers (Oxford University Press, 2005); photo by Erika Hartmann Stokes.)
* So, what did you hear Bolden Bolden say?