- Welcome to my website. I am a writer and editor specializing in jazz-related topics and media. From 1992 to 2001, I was the editor of Jazz Notes, the quarterly journal of the Jazz Journalists Association. I have also served as the editor of JazzTimes and as the jazz critic of The Washington Post.
I have published the following books, which you can learn more about or purchase here:
- The Jazz Scene: An Informal History from New Orleans to 1990 (Oxford University Press, 1991)
- Swing Era New York: The Jazz Photographs of Charles Peterson (Temple University Press, 1994)
- Living the Jazz Life: Conversations with Forty Musicians about Their Careers in Jazz (Oxford University Press, 2000)
- Growing Up With Jazz: Twenty-Four Musicians Talk About Their Lives and Careers (Oxford University Press, 2005).
- Backwards Over Part 1: Rufus Has Been on the Lam (Hannah Books 2015)￼
I am currently at work on a memoir and A W. Royal Stokes Jazz, Blues & Beyond Reader.
(Photo: W. Royal Stokes on the bandstand of New York’s Blue Note club, June 11, 2014, acknowledging receipt of the Lifetime Achievement In Jazz Journalism Award from the Jazz Journalists Association. Author Gary Giddins, who presented the award, is to the right and Eighteenth Annual Awards Event Master of Ceremonies Josh Jackson of WBGO-FM is on the left. Photo credit: Erika Hartmann Stokes.)
* So, what did you hear Bolden Bolden say?