I am semi-retired from jazz journalism and criticism and am focusing on several ongoing book projects. Nonetheless, I do occasionally write reviews, round-ups, appreciations, and other articles.
Here are links to some of my recent published work:
- “Women in Jazz: Some Observations Regarding the Ongoing Discrimination in Performance and Journalism.” wroyalstokes.com.
- “Pori Jazz 2003.” wroyalstokes.com. 2003.
- “Umbria Jazz and Jazz Ascona 2002.” wroyalstokes.com. 2002.
- “Ascona 2001: Festival Notes and Pictures.” wroyalstokes.com. 2001.
- “Umbria Jazz 2001.” JazzHOUSE. 2001.
- “Umbria Jazz Festival 2000.” wroyalstokes.com. 2000.
Book and Album Reviews
- “Best CDs of 2010.” wroyalstokes.com. January 2011.
- “Recent Jazz, Blues & Pop Photography & Art Books.” JazzHOUSE Diaries. Dec. 6, 2009.
- Review of Tommy Cecil’s album, Samba for Felix. wroyalstokes.com. 2000.
- “Credence Clearwater Revival: Some observations on a major musical group of the 1960s.” wroyalstokes.com.
- Review of Alyn Shipton’s book, A New History of Jazz. JazzHOUSE. 2002.
Appreciations and Reminiscences
- “Some Personal Memories of a Drum Master.” JazzHOUSE. 2009.
- “Gene Martin: A Reminiscence.” wroyalstokes.com.
You can find more links to my published work on the contributors page at JazzHOUSE. Unfortunately, I can’t link directly to my section, but you will find me listed alphabetically on this page.